It’s been some time since I did an appreciation post for the little things in life but now seems like the perfect time. I’m currently holed up in a beautiful little cottage, just outside Oxford, for a weekend with some of my favourite women in the whole wide world. It’s a quite Saturday morning and all but the baby amongst us (and her mum, I suspect!) are sleeping soundly. I am awake and full of contentment, mulling over all the wonderful little things that make life so lovely. Here are a few that come to mind:
- Conversations with like-minded people.
- Laughing until you cry and your sides hurt.
- A real log fire.
- The quiet stillness of the countryside in the morning.
- Baby smiles.
- Baby laughter.
- Baby cuddles…(there’s a lot of baby worship going on here!)
- Good books.
- Good food, especially nibbly finger food.
- Climbing into a bed made with freshly laundered sheets.
- Waking up after a good night’s sleep (especially when you don’t have to rush to get up).
- Knowing it’s the weekend.
- A message from someone you love.
- Knowing you’ve done a good job.
- Learning something new.
- Helping someone out.
- Knowing there is so much to look forward to.
- The smell of fresh flowers.
- Watching flowers open from bud to bloom.
- Surprises from friends (or strangers).
- Realising that you take more joy in life that you ever have before, and feel positive that joy will only increase.
And that’s just a few of the little things making my life lovely right now.
What little things have you noticed recently that have made you smile and appreciate life just that little bit more?